The State Reform and Industrial School for Girls was created by act of the Ohio General Assembly on March 5, 1869. The purpose of the school was "the reformation of exposed, helpless, evil disposed, and vicious girls." In 1878, the term "incorrigible" was added. A five-member board of trustees purchased a piece of property known as the Ohio White Sulphur Springs Resort, eighteen miles north of Columbus. The first six girls were admitted to the school in October 1869.
We hold the following Ohio Girls' Industrial School Admission Records:
Inmate case record 1869-1911 [State Archives Series 653]
Records list inmate's name, serial number, date received, birth date, age, nationality, father's name, mother's name, habits of parents, education of parents, occupation of father, county of residence, court, name of sentencing judge, office held by judge, offense, education level, health, any special marks, employment (if any), and miscellaneous remarks.
Register of Girls Received and Paroled 1881-1943 [State Archives Series 649]
Received records include: Date, inmate #, name, birth date, nativity, race, county of residence and any relevant remarks
Other primary source materials:
To learn what other archival materials we hold that were created by or on the subject of the Ohio Girls' Industrial School, enter the term 'Ohio Girls' Industrial School' in the search field of the Archives Database.
Additional materials such as books and pamphlets:
To search for all materials we hold related to the Ohio Girls' Industrial School, please search our Online Collections Catalog below.